Shaadi Ki Bees Sal Baad…
Remember in the old Bollywood movies from the 70s and 80s, there was always that ‘Bees Sal Baad’ edit where suddenly everything in the movie would change? Everyone would be older or all grown up. The characters would have different lives, the very mood of the movie would change.
To my young mind back when I used to watch them, ‘Bees Sal Baad’ or ’20 years later’ seemed a very, very, very long time indeed.
Turns out, like most things in Bollywood movies, that’s total nonsense. Bees Sal Baad is a blink of an eye. Because that what it feels like since I married my truly beloved in December 1997.
Yep – 20 years. 20 YEARS! Two decades. And yet our yearning for each other is as emphatic as it ever was.
Last year, on hitting 19 years, I wrote: ‘Scale it down to the timeline in my head and we only got married a couple of months back – don’t know whose kids those are sleeping there. And it seems only a week before that, Cupid caught us by surprise and truly, madly, deeply happened forever.’
Everything I wrote then echoes multiple-fold as true today. So I searched for words by others to express my emotions (though not from Bollywood movies though they would be a rich and colour source of enchanting prose, poetry and song for sure – maybe next year.
So here are 20 Love Quotes to celebrate our 20th Anniversary on the 20th of December.
- My soul is so knit to yours that it is but a divided life I live without you. ~George Eliot (1819–1880), Adam Bede, 1859 (Dinah)
- When love is not madness, it is not love. ~Pedro Calderon de la Barca
- My bounty is as boundless as the sea, My love as deep; the more I give to thee, The more I have, for both are infinite. ~Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
- Me? I’m scared of everything. I’m scared of what I saw, I’m scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I’m scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I’m with you. ~Dirty Dancing (1987)
- Give me a kisse, and to that kisse a score; Then to that twenty, adde a hundred more; A thousand to that hundred; so kisse on, To make that thousand up a million; Treble that million, and when that is done, Let’s kisse afresh, as when we first begun. ~Robert Herrick, “To Anthea (III)
- The hours I spend with you I look upon as sort of a perfumed garden, a dim twilight, and a fountain singing to it. You and you alone make me feel that I am alive. Other men it is said have seen angels, but I have seen thee and thou art enough. ~George Moore
- When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. ~Harry Burns, When Harry Met Sally
- You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. ~Dr. Seuss
- Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love. ~Shakespeare, Hamlet
- I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close. ~Pablo Neruda, 100 Love Sonnets
- It doesn’t matter if the guy is perfect or the girl is perfect, as long as they are perfect for each other. ~Good Will Hunting
- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. ~Sophocles
- Love is like the wind, you can’t see it but you can feel it. ~Nicholas Sparks, A Walk To Remember
- If I had a flower for every time I thought of you … I could walk through my garden forever.” ~Alfred Tennyson
- Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it’s the moments that take your breath away. ~Hitch (Will Smith)
- Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet. ~Plato
- My heart to you is given: Oh, do give yours to me; We’ll lock them up together, And throw away the key. ~Frederick Saunders
- I love thee – I love thee, ‘Tis all that I can say. It is my vision in the night, My dreaming in the day. ~Thomas Hoo
- My heart beats faster as you take my hand, my love grows stronger as you touch my soul. ~A.C. Van Cherub, 2009
- It isn’t possible to love and part. You will wish that it was. You can transmute love, ignore it, muddle it, but you can never pull it out of you. I know by experience that the poets are right: love is eternal. ~E.M. Forster, A Room With A View